A Right Royal Affair in Fitzroy Street.

Ascot My Fair Lady 1 1
Ascot My Fair Lady 1 1

On Sunday 11th June Fitzroy Street will be transformed into a right Royal Affair with a carnival atmosphere and the celebration of the Queen’s Birthday long weekend.

The event will commence at 3pm with the arrival of “Her Majesty ‘The Queen'” hailing on a horse and carriage travelling from St Kilda Sea Baths and along Fitzroy Street to the junction end.

a right royal affair in fitzroy street.

Murray Schoorman from the Fitzroy St Business Association said, “It’s the first time we have done a roving entertainment on Queens Birthday weekend.”

It is all part of a strategy of revitalising and encouraging growth in Fitzroy St together with the recent announcement of the first Pride Centre in Australia setting up in the Street next year. “We can’t wait for that to eventuate and there will be lots of events because of that,” said Schoorman.

Along the famous strip during the Royal Affair will be roving street entertainment including musicians, fire twirlers, circus acts and drag queens, plus an honourable salute from the Royal British Guards, bagpipes, stilt walkers and a special appearance from Her Majesty or is it a well-known Australian impersonator. 

Schoorman said, “Without giving it all away we’ve also got some models doing certain things up and down the street, a lot of roving entertainment and I can’t tell you all the details … [there are] many surprises installed

The Royal Affair ends at 18:00 but the celebrations will continue into the night with the Robarta official ‘Queen’s Birthday After Party’ with a special Queen’s Cocktail for the royal occasion and DJs throughout the night.

a right royal affair in fitzroy street.

There’s royal feasting throughout the day and evening with Valerie Patisserie for a croissant and coffee, or Texan sized toasties at Misery Guts. Enjoy Babu Ji Indian food, classic French cuisine at Embassy 97, Claypots Seafood Express with the freshest fish and the iconic Italian restaurants Topolinos and Leo’s Spaghetti Bar.

Or if it’s a whiskey you’re after you can’t go past St LuJa, or for more cocktail specials head to a Girl Next Door, 29th Apartment, Acland Street Cantina, St Hotel, and Metropol.

And for those beer lovers try Freddie Wimpole’s, The Fifth Province, or the POW Kitchen & Bandroom. The Tolarno Hotel has great specials for overnighters. 

Schoorman said, “This is a family friendly event and it finishes at 6pm so after that families are welcome to hang around and go to a restaurant and have something to eat while adults might like to go and have a cocktail down at one of the many bars there are along the strip.”

Melbournians are in for grand old time at the Fitzroy Street Queen’s Birthday Street Party!

For further information, visit Fitzroy Street Business Association website.

www.fitzroystreetstkilda.com.au

Costumes are from the ‘Ascot Scene’ in ‘My Fair Lady’

• Oceania Luxury Travel Co Luxury Travel Australia FiveStarAsutralia.com Banner 728x90 1