14 Acland St, St Kilda
Bookings: 03 9534 3388
Office: 03 9534 4879
W: theatreworks.org.au
E: Send us an email

Festival of Live Art at Theatre Works

We dedicate our week of the Festival of Live Art to Adrian Howells.
This week Theatre Works hosts the third week of Melbourne’s Festival of Live Art as performances pop up throughout St Kilda.

We commissioned these works as part of our ENCOUNTER(S) Program, with many of the artists commencing their explorations in 2012. I am dedicating our season of Live Art to the inspirational and very dear Adrian Howells, who passed away last Monday. Adrian came to Theatre Works, from Glasgow, in December 2012 to work with 45 artists at the very start of our ENCOUNTER(S) program. He was a wonderful teacher and artist who has created some of the most influential and honest one-on-one performances. His work has had a profound effect on many people throughout the world. He was an extraordinarily generous and gentle man, he was smart, daring, hilarious, cheeky, giving and so accessible. He truly did open hearts and minds.

I feel so very lucky that we were able to spend some time with him and so very sad that he has gone. There have been many beautiful words written about Adrian from all over the world including a tribute by Andy Fields in The Guardianand an obituary by Joyce McMillan in The Scotsman. Our hearts are with his family and friends at this time.
I know he will be very proud of the work we are doing.

It is a great feeling to realise a vision. When I started here I wanted to place one-on-one and intimate performance works throughout St Kilda – take work out of the theatre. I wanted to challenge and explore the boundaries between artists and audience. This week we have works happening at The Novotel, St Kilda, on a telephone through the streets of St Kilda, in a giant bed at the Linden Centre for Contemporary Arts, in rarely used Vaults, in an artist’s flat and at The Galleon Café.

We are so grateful to these spaces for enabling us access to present these new works throughout FOLA.

Don’t delay booking for Credible Likeable Superstar Role Model, In Deep Water and Make The Call – all other FOLA works have sold out!!

Finally a big shout out to Renan at Claypots, Evening Starand Nick at Vinaceous Wines for making sure we have great food and wine this week!

See you at FOLA!

Danx

Sex Idiot as part of Melbourne International Comedy Festival

Bryony Kimmings - 6 shows only!

Melbourne Town Hall

Winner: Total Theatre Award, Edinburgh Fringe

Following her first STI test, Bryony discovered she had a common sexual disease. Not one for retrospection, she was faced with the arduous task of retracing her sexual footsteps to see where she’d contracted her problem.
Expect a whirlwind of misadventure and self-realisation told through vignettes of performance, dance and song lovingly gaffer taped to some rough chat and acts of slight danger!

Nestled somewhere between homemade-pop-song, ornithological-naturetrail and an ode to love lost, this is a funny and unapologetic account of female sexuality in the 21st century; a show for anyone who’s enjoyed a one-night stand, broken hearts in search of love and ultimately realised no (wo)man is an island.
"One of the funniest, most charming things I’ve seen in an age” Time Out
"Jewel in the Fringe’s crown” The Scotsman

Date: 27 Mar 2014 - 05 Apr 2014
Time: Thurs, Fri, Sat at 10:45pm
Price: All tickets $25

BUY HERE

Watch THE FANNY SONG

Next Wave Launch special for Wael Zuaiter: Unknown

A Creative Nonfiction production

Commissioned and developed through Next Wave's Kickstart program

Presented by Next Wave and Theatre Works as part of Next Wave Festival 2014
Selected Works 2014
On the evening of the 16th of October 1972, Wael Zuaiter, a Palestinian intellectual, was shot and killed by two Israeli Mossad agents in Rome. Earlier that night he had been with his Australian fiancée, painter Janet Venn Brown. Years later, Janet’s great-nephew, radio producer Jesse Cox, traces the story of Wael and Janet from Italy to the Middle East and tries to uncover why he was killed.

In celebration of the launch of Next Wave 2014 you can buy $20 tickets from Wednesday 26th March until Monday 31st of March by using the code 'earlybird' when booking here

Date: 29 Apr 2014 - 11 May 2014
Time: Wed-Sat 8:00pm, Sun 5:00pm (no show Sunday May 4)
Preview: April 29 at 8:00pm
Price: $25 Full / $20 Concession, under 30 & Groups of 8+ ( Preview: $20 Full / $15 Concession & under 30)

Novotel special discount for Theatre Works patrons

Our preffered Hotel Provider, Novotel, St Kilda are offering a 10% discount for Theatre Works patrons. Novotel have supported Theatre Works for many years and it has been brilliant to be able to place Savage Amusement's work, Far Away So Close, in one of their hotel rooms.
To access special discount please go here:

Venue Availability - June 2014

Have you got a project that you think might be perfect at Theatre Works? Do you want to present work at one of the most exciting creative hubs in Australia? We have some space available in June and would love to program it with some fantastic work.
Download a Venue Hire application form and email it to tech@theatreworks.org.au asap.

Credible Likeable Superstar Role Model

25 Mar to 6 Apr 2014
Learn more >
Sex Idiot

27 Mar to 5 Apr 2014
Learn more >
DreamSong Comedy Festival

9 Apr to 20 Apr 2014
Learn more >
Wael Zuaiter: Unknown Selected Works 2014

29 Apr to 11 May 2014
Learn more >
Memorandum Selected Works 2014

20 May to 1 Jun 2014
Learn more >
The Motion of Light in Water Selected Works 2014

17 Jul to 27 Jul 2014
Learn more >
I Heart John McEnroe

30 Jul to 10 Aug 2014
Learn more >
Therese Raquin

14 Aug to 31 Aug 2014
Learn more >
The House of Yes

27 Nov to 14 Dec 2014
Learn more >

Selected Works Subscriptions
Available until April 25

4 shows for $80/65
Wael Zuaiter: Unknown
Memorandum
The Motion of Light in Water
I Heart John McEnroe

Season 2014 Brochure

Why not spoil a loved one with a Theatre Works Gift Certificate! Gift Certificates are valued at $50 and $25 and are valid for 12 months from the date of purchase.
Learn more >

Theatre Works is a not-for-profit charitable organisation committed to supporting our exciting Independent Arts Community.
Your donation will contribute to the ongoing support of our vibrant arts community and the cultural identity and vibrancy of Melbourne.
Learn more >

Interested in supporting Theatre Works?
Theatre Works is a not-for-profit charitable organisation committed to supporting our exciting Independent Arts Community. If you are able to assist us with in-kind or cash contributions, please emailgm@theatreworks.org.au

Sponsorships will be handsomely rewarded. Donations are tax deductible!
Learn more >
Local and community sponsors:

Theatre Works Limited is supported by the Victorian Government through Arts Victoria.

This project has been assisted by the Australian Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body.
Theatre Works
14 Acland St
[Cnr St Leonards Ave]
St Kilda 3182
PO Box 1205
St Kilda South