Stewart D’Arrietta and band perform ‘My Leonard Cohen’

hqdefault 5
hqdefault 5

MEMO Music Hall – Friday 13 and Saturday 14 September, 7:30pm

I had the pleasure of a conversation with Stewart D’Arrietta, a world-class producer, actor, and performer of  ‘Looking Through a Glass Onion’ and ‘Belly of a Drunken Piano’. 

Returning to Australia after the third season at the Edinburgh Fringe (the sixth time he has performed there) Stewart D’Arrietta and his band will be performing ‘My Leonard Cohen’ at the MEMO Music Hall on Friday 13th and Saturday 14th of September.

Stewart is an international artist performing shows in Montreal, London, Tokyo, New York, Adelaide Fringe, a sold-out run at the Sydney Opera House and now Melbourne.

He loved Scotland and they loved him – playing to 20,000 fans in Edinburgh and 5.5 million overall in Scotland.

Since recording his album in London – ‘My Leonard Cohen’ (Live) – the show has evolved and keeps evolving – keeping it fresh.

stewart d’arrietta and band perform ‘my leonard cohen’

Even though the show celebrates the powerful works of the great late Leonard Cohen, they will be delivered with heartfelt and raw emotion, as you’ve never heard them before.  Some of Cohen’s songs stir up an emotion in D’Arrietta which relates to his grief after the passing of a very close friend a few years ago. 

The arrangements also add an upbeat and happy feeling with a good dose of D’Arrietta’s laconic humour thrown in.

The show has had rave reviews such as:

“My Leonard Cohen” is an absolute gem of a show – and true music lovers should not miss it”

“It was captivating on a night filled with similar goose-bump moments.  Everything was performed with such respect and admiration for Cohen.  It was a true ‘tribute’ show”   On Magazine, UK

“Cohen himself would have paid to see this” ***** Daily Business UK

“surpasses mere imitation” ***** Adelaide Advertiser

“above all; very, very fun” **** Broadway Baby

“D’Arrietta is the full package both as musician and entertainer.” Daily Telegraph (Aus)

“a fine performer in his own right and a terrifically skilled band… expect paced up songs, expect tango and Texas, rock and enough overlap with Cohen’s own style to satisfy, surprise and delight” ***** Fringe Review  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Stewart definitely puts his own spin on the arrangements, which is exciting, interesting and above all very entertaining, keeping Cohen’s music alive for newer generations.

Can’t wait to see the gig at the MEMO Music Hall, 88 Acland Street, St Kilda. 13Th and 14th  September.

• Oceania Luxury Travel Co Luxury Travel Australia FiveStarAsutralia.com Banner 728x90 1