View Full Version : Massoni Sangiovese 2006

Michael Lillis
18th November 2012, 04:39 PM

I love Chianti; yes there is life beyond the raffia basket clad bottles of red wine that once graced my kitchen table in my early twenties.

Then there is Sangiovese (confused?)

Sangiovese makes up 90% of most Chianti blends the other 10% is usually Merlot or Cab/Sav or some obscure indigenous grape.

So when I see an Australian Sangiovese I jump on it, some have been good others have been a disappointment to say the least.

With this grape like all verities choosing where to grow it is so important.
This wine comes from the Pyrenees region in Victoria where this variety seems to be most at home.

Just what the doctor ordered dry cherry mixed with a hint of spice, pretty good considering all I have done is open the bottle and have not decanted it as yet and the nose is already seductive.

I decant this wine with out even thinking about it. That is what a good wine needs is a little air and time to show its self.

I am drinking this wine in a big glass and the colour is brick red and that is a good sign too. Just starting to get aromas of wood and cherry.

In the mouth cherry mid palate quite ripe and fresh there is a little wood some whiffs of leathery herbs an interesting wine to say the least.

Dry on the finish but with good fruit flowing all the way through to the end.

Conclusion: To date this is quite clearly one of my preferred Australian Sangiovese there a few around but they are few and far between.

Michael Lillis I love my food and wine