PDA

View Full Version : blog on preparing tiff greens

dunny
28th July 2011, 05:37 PM
over the coming months i will be doing a monthly rundown on what i have done to my 3 greens in cobram. it will be a basic but informative article which will provide information and pictures

Mick Pacholli
28th July 2011, 11:33 PM
Can we call it
"dunnyRolls",
Tift dwarf under the microscope
with Greg Dunn, reporting on the
progression of his 3 Cobram Tifts,
in the aim of assisting greenkeepers
world wide with the management
of couch species.

you know me and my play on words Greg, probably haven't got the wording right, but you can edit that, lol, unlike BW or BB you are now connected to the hub mate, thank you for coming onboard. Can you please also add the links to all your suppliers, I want the bowls section to have the credible products being promoted shamlessly, who knows we may be able to get them to sponsor different widgets on the Planetbowls pages.

Tell you what mate, I reckon if you give me the names of your suppliers, given the fact that you want to do this et al, I could ring them in my own inimitable way and encourage them to support this project with product, product that would feature on your blog page!

We coiuld also look at a Greenies Swap Shop, as you know few have had as many clubs as me, and I got to know all the greenies, there is shit in them thar sheds that some guys never use and others need and vice versa... would that work? Trade excess chemicals in a private forum, I don't know whether or not that might possiibly need police overview, or Department at least, which would be cool as anyway. It is all about making thjings work through communication.

Any decent HD camera will allow you to put together video images of the work you are doing, to be edited, and voice over, live talk and panel descriptives can be dropped into a video for the site, don't want to over whelm you mate, not looking overnight, but I tell you solidly mate it is not that hard and I am set up.

This is what Phil and Willo asked me to build, their php platform doesn't allow the depth this site offers mate, although MW did a brilliant job on the podcast, but editorially it was strangled.. here you can publish what you like, within reason publicly, and there are private areas, in a visual attractive format. If you are more web capable let me know Greg, or one of your members is a guru, we can do some pretty cool shit.

dunny
29th July 2011, 06:34 PM
sounds great mick, i will talk to the reps and see if interested then go from there, the swap shop sounds cool too but there are a few probs with trading chemicals and what goes wrong if applied wronly or if somebody puts roundup in a fertiliser drum, know where im coming from. as for the web stuff im a surfer so am limited in that capacity

Mick Pacholli
30th July 2011, 03:12 AM
Cool, yeah forget chemicals, ok I will set it up for you mate, thanks for contributing, don't worry about the technical stuff, if you post the copy I will trick it up and explain how it is done, it is a piece of piss once you get it...lol...took me ages mate. I'll announce it on the Bowls Blog and see what reaction we get. I am going to open uip an editorial base for all those Bowls Bloggers, check what I have done in the morning mate.

I will get my graphic artist mate to do a cool header for your Blog, the trick is though... to post it in the forums like this, hitting the advanced button allows full editing like the main features, and then we can easily upgrade it to an article and to your blog. Send me a pic/image/ please mate for the contributors section. I want to focus on the member experience here for information mate, we can focus widgets(them block thingys on the side of the forums and pages) to feed latest posts or other bowls blogs onto the front pages of the bowls sections, it is a very maleable format for publishing.

I will also set up a Greenkeepers group that will only be available to Greenies, it COULD be a VGA group if you want.

enough from me fer sure...

dunny
1st August 2011, 06:33 PM
Tiff greens over the winter months still require work on them, this involves cutting, rolling and even using the wire brush.

The rolling is done when the greens are dry, this helps to maintain firmness, and will assist in drying the greens out after rain, thus greens will be quicker earlier in the year than normal.

There is still some spraying to be done, this varies from keeping moss and algae under control to weed and disease control. If playing winter bowls, rinks should be moved often to reduce wear and tear on the edges and play east west if possible.

I know many members don't like east-west but it is necessary. I try to cut the greens at least once every 2-3 weeks, many clubs seem to lift their mowers at the end of the season, but I prefer to keep the height of cut the same all year round.

dunny
2nd August 2011, 07:15 PM
All you guys out there getting a hit of the warm weather...don't go getting too carried away trying to kick the greens out of dormancy as yet. The cool weather more then likely will return and the grass wont know what's happening, and will be worse off. It will come out when ready.

dunny
4th August 2011, 04:28 PM
Today the greens were cut for first time in 2 weeks, and rolled once, then timed using a rvba timing ramp.

I use this regulary as its easy to compare speeds. Although I don't agree with the speeds given it provides an accurate guide to compare over time.

Speeds of the greens were unbelievable! 13m into the breeze and 16m down breeze, that equates to 17.5 seconds and approx 21 seconds, as the chart stops at 15.2m and that's 20 seconds...

I did get some pictures but having trouble uploading them

Mick Pacholli
6th August 2011, 02:20 AM
OK, if you go to Advanced settings you will find an uploader at the bottom bit that will allow you to upload fro your computer or a website mate.

issues can come if the image is too big, an iPhone pic might be too big, send jme the pic via email and I will tell you the best sizes to solve this issue. mate bugs to squash i suppose...

dunny
6th August 2011, 10:17 AM
will do mick,
back to the greens. today the greens are wet, had 8mm of rain overnight.
bowls is still on today as have 14 teams of triples wishing to play so its full steam ahead and then start preparing for the august triples on 24th and 25th.
tournament is full and have 10 toorak guys (awesome) gracing the greens hope they can take some cash home

dunny
8th August 2011, 03:14 PM
add another 30mm of the wet stuff and yes the greens are wet. number 1 green this morning was totally under as it has no drainage. the other greens were wet but ok. have closed the greens until wednesday, this will give them time to dry out and allow me to give them a light mixture of fertiliser

dunny
11th August 2011, 01:16 PM
today was first chance to do any work on the greens this week, still very wet but weather is finally sunny and a bit of wind so gave all greens a roll and hopefully they will start drying out

dunny
18th August 2011, 02:50 PM
1 week to go until the august triples and yes we had more rain, in fact another 20mm yesterday and still showering now as i am typing. managed to get some wetting agent on the greens and hopefully it will help with the moving of the water through the profile. also managed to get the greens cut today between showers and it looks like its starting to move, i actually cut green leaf off the greens toady and quite a bit of it. still not going to push it out yet but hopefully will make a effort in 2 weeks time if weather becomes more stable, currently 19 one day and 11 the next.

dunny
18th August 2011, 03:18 PM
finally got the pics of the greens worked out and here they are
this is of green 2
http://www.tooraktimes.com.au/images/imported/2011/08/20.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/p1030234uy.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

dunny
18th August 2011, 03:19 PM
this is also of green 2. its tiffdwarf and is a wide green but notice it cant be played on east west due to no ditches. it has great drainage.
http://www.tooraktimes.com.au/images/imported/2011/08/19.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/p1030232u.jpg/)

dunny
18th August 2011, 03:25 PM
this pic is of green 1 it has no drainage which makes it difficiult to work on when wet
http://www.tooraktimes.com.au/images/imported/2011/08/18.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/p1030236e.jpg/)

dunny
18th August 2011, 03:26 PM
this is also of green 1
http://www.tooraktimes.com.au/images/imported/2011/08/17.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/p1030240me.jpg/)

dunny
22nd August 2011, 07:12 PM
gave the greens a light roll saturday and a bigger roll sunday to assist drying out. then today hit them big time. both tiffs were rolled 7 times with the smooth roll and the wagga couch was rolled 3 times with a walk behind roller with added weight of 180kg this takes approx 1 hr per roll then it was rolled another 6 times with the smooth roll. reason being to bring dampness to the surface and allow the green to dry out. greens were timed at between 16 and 19 seconds using the ramp. tomorrow i wil use the wire brush on the tiffs and then cut all 3 greens and give all a light roll of 2 times each

dunny
29th August 2011, 02:23 PM
tournament was a great success, the greens ran very well and the weather was perfect for bowls. on both wednesday and thursday the greens were rolled early to remove the dew and then rolled again to put the pace back into them early. by the end of the days the greens were running about 17 ish seconds with a even draw on both hands.

dunny
29th August 2011, 02:27 PM
today our number 2 green was scarified lightly in one direction, this helps to remove old dormant grass and will give the grass somewhere to grow to when it comes out of dormancy. also it will assist in removing water from the surface of the green if we get early spring rains as over winter the green has sealed off to a degree due to rolling and continuas play when the greens have been damp. after the green was cleaned up (apporx 1 6x4 trailer full) the green was given 2 bags of fertiliser then washed in. the same will happen to number 1 green tomorrow

There is a lot in this caper Greg. Should Tiff greens be out of dormancy by nowin Melbourne?

dunny
1st September 2011, 05:59 PM
mick i cant say with certanty if greens in melbourne should be out of dormancy by now. from my observations of melbourne there are different micro climates that affect things from surburb to suburb. in my opinion this is caused by tall buildings, traffic and how the person looking after the greens maintain them. many people may see a change in the colour of the greens from a brownish tinge to a green leaf and will begin to grow but this does not mean the green is out of dormancy as such, all it means is its thinking about it and is getting ready to fully wake up. a green really needs the sub soil temp to rise to about 15c and then maintain above that to fully come out.

Mick Pacholli
1st September 2011, 11:09 PM
mick i cant say with certanty if greens in melbourne should be out of dormancy by now. from my observations of melbourne there are different micro climates that affect things from surburb to suburb. in my opinion this is caused by tall buildings, traffic and how the person looking after the greens maintain them. many people may see a change in the colour of the greens from a brownish tinge to a green leaf and will begin to grow but this does not mean the green is out of dormancy as such, all it means is its thinking about it and is getting ready to fully wake up. a green really needs the sub soil temp to rise to about 15c and then maintain above that to fully come out.

Thanks Greg.

dunny
5th September 2011, 06:45 PM
the greens are responding to last weeks scarifying and fertiliser that was applied. the greens are starting to show signs of green leaf it is leggy growth at the moment but the days have been warm and the nights cool, the subsoil temp must be starting to rise

Mick Pacholli
7th September 2011, 04:57 PM
the greens are responding to last weeks scarifying and fertiliser that was applied. the greens are starting to show signs of green leaf it is leggy growth at the moment but the days have been warm and the nights cool, the subsoil temp must be starting to rise

We've been having some grouse days then we get hit with a real winter chill again, does it confuse the plant?

dunny
7th September 2011, 05:18 PM
it does, thats why i was saying in earlier posts not to get too excited too early

dunny
12th September 2011, 05:13 PM
cool days combined with a couple of frosts and the growth has virtually stopped, i cut the greens today for the first time in a week and while there is some greenish leaf there has been very little growth in the past week with less then half a catcher off the 2 greens. the forecast in the next 7 days is promising with temps expected to get to 25 by the weekend. i am planning to scarify again and fertilise next week if weather forecast comes true

Mick Pacholli
14th September 2011, 07:02 PM
The weather is up snd down, how does grass react to this,does come awake then go asleep again, and how different is tiff to bent in that respect?

dunny
19th September 2011, 06:01 PM
Fertilised all greens on Saturday and gave them a good drink, as temps expected to rise to 30 ish by monday and forecast was correct.

Today i groomed both greens and cleaned up got a fair bit off them.

Noticed the greens this morning were starting to change to a light green colour which is a plesent change from the browish/purple.

Can only hope the warm weather continues and will give another feed in 2 weeks.

dunny
6th October 2011, 01:25 PM
its been a while since my last report and yes the greens did respond to the fertiliser i applied but yes it did turn cold again(sigh) and although green in colour they stopped growing. i have left the vertical removal alone for a few weeks and just letting the turf recover. we have had heaps of rain and they played bowls for 3 days straight in the rain, there was evidence of where the players had been but i fertilised the greens again on sunday and now they are showing signs of recovery. pennant begins this weekend and the forecast is wet again but the players are eager to get out after the powers to be stuffed up the program and put round 1 on afl grand final day and the clubs protested and got it cancelled.

Mick Pacholli
7th October 2011, 07:26 PM
its been a while since my last report and yes the greens did respond to the fertiliser i applied but yes it did turn cold again(sigh) and although green in colour they stopped growing. i have left the vertical removal alone for a few weeks and just letting the turf recover. we have had heaps of rain and they played bowls for 3 days straight in the rain, there was evidence of where the players had been but i fertilised the greens again on sunday and now they are showing signs of recovery. pennant begins this weekend and the forecast is wet again but the players are eager to get out after the powers to be stuffed up the program and put round 1 on afl grand final day and the clubs protested and got it cancelled.

Thanks dunny, I see Glory has just topdressed the St Kilda tiff.

dunny
9th October 2011, 11:38 AM
this morning early i went in and sprayed a tank mix of the following to each green, fungicide, fertiliser and soil conditioner. hopefully this will get things moving and protect the plant if it gets humid in the next week.

dunny
11th October 2011, 05:46 PM
dunnyRolls
by Greg Dunn

Today I decided to run the wire brush over number 2 green, took a total of 18 catchers off, rolled the green a couple of times and running very well and great finish.

dunny
24th October 2011, 03:02 PM
dunnyRolls
by Greg Dunn

The greens have certainly greened up now and are almost too green, still not a heap of growth on the tiff but the wagga couch is going nuts.

The greens have been running 15-16 seconds without too much effort of rolling and some hand watering was required last week to ensure the greens got through till Sunday afternoon.

Today the greens were given a wetting agent as well as a addition of merit to control black beetle larvae and were watered in with 12mm of irrigation.

dunny
2nd November 2011, 06:15 PM
dunnyRolls by Greg Dunn

Since the last entry, the greens have been wire brushed last week, and both greens scarified and cleaned up on Monday with the amount of grass removed equal to filling 2 5x7 trailers.

After the scarifying and cleaning up the greens were cut to remove any remaining loose grass. Then the rell and blade on the mower were replaced and the mower reset to the required height.

Currently greens are being cut 3 times a week and rolled daily even if not being played on.

dunny
8th November 2011, 08:16 PM
dunnyRolls by Greg Dunn

Greens have certainly greened up since monday. The weather has been great for tiff, warm nights,warm days. I fertilised the greens on monday with a mixture of 4 different things and by lunch they were looking great. I will try to get a pics tomorrow if not raining.

dunny
9th November 2011, 05:10 PM
http://www.tooraktimes.com.au/images/imported/2011/11/44.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/green1j.png/)
http://www.tooraktimes.com.au/images/imported/2011/11/45.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/847/green2g.png/)

Mick Pacholli
9th November 2011, 11:06 PM
Looking mighty fine mate, what are they running?

dunny
15th November 2011, 03:54 PM
dunnyRolls by Greg Dunn

When weather is good they have been running at 16+, but as late not conducive to good pace due to humidity and rain; but will improve and get more consistent as weather does.

dunny
15th November 2011, 03:55 PM
dunnyRolls by Greg Dunn

Yesterday both greens were groomed and cleaned up, in total there was approx 6 wheelbarrows taken off each green. The colour is getting better as not as green as last week when pics were taken.

dunny
25th November 2011, 02:38 PM
dunnyRolls
by Greg Dunn

It's been a interesting week on the greens at Cobram, the weather has once again cooled off, its now late November and in reality it should be hot and the tiff should be going nuts but I guess that's mother nature.

This week I fertilised both tiff greens, green 1 was fertilised with a slow release nitrogen based fert to get things moving as this green will be renovated next week, and green 2 was given a liquid feed to keep things ticking over and both got the results desired.

The greens were cut Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and I cut more grass off thursday then I did on Wednesday, the greens will be cut again tomorrow for pennant.

The renovation next week on number 1 green will involve double scarifying and mini-tyning the green, then adding soil amendments as needed and finally putting sand on and levelling the green. Hopefully the weather will improve and the green is only out of play for 3 weeks. Once back in play the number 2 green will undergo the same process.