PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment - Gary Turner - November

Gary Turner
14th October 2013, 01:55 PM

Mt Eliza Singer/Songwriter, Lachlan Bryan and his band The Wildes have been around the music industry since 2008 when he formed his band.
This brilliant alternative-country performer who has been travelling under the mainstream radar came from left field with his new alternative swamp country album Black Coffee (WJO) to smash his way into the ARIA Charts debuting at No.4 on the Top 20 Australian Artist Country albums chart, No.6 on the Top 40 Country Albums chart and No.12 on the Top 20 Australian Artist Albums chart (all genres).

In 2012 Lachlan released acclaimed solo album Shadow of the Gun, and embarked upon an epic 23 State tour across the USA. It
was on this tour that he wrote most of what would become the new record, inspired by run-down hotels, roadside diners, desert
landscapes and cheap, supermarket sixpacks.The title track, for instance, was written at 9am on a napkin at a Mexican restaurant outside of Chicago.

Lachlan said "Shadow of the Gun was a dark album for me and it was where l was at the time, written over a few years".
Bryan used the album to express the complex array of feelings that were swirling around inside him. "Black Coffee' was an entirely different project writing all the songs earlier this year and recorded at the Music Cellar Studios in Erina on the NSW Central Coast in 2 days"
309 is the debut single from 'Black Coffee' that was co-written with Bill Chambers who also sings on the recording.
"Bill and I liked this song a lot", says Lachlan, "and when it came time to record - it only seemed right to share the vocals. It appeals to the wicked side in both of us".
"Bill Chambers is one person that is in the industry for the music - Bill puts music first and you can tell"
"Bill is always helping other people, he is talented, genuine and I have connected with Bill on a music level; he is the real thing".
309 set the scene for the vibe of the album. It's a driving album and 309 is a highway song. People are coming up to me saying they love my new album and to me, that is as good as being on the charts added Lachlan.

Singer/Songwriter, Melody Pool helps out on backing vocals on seven of the 10 tracks and shares vocals with Lachlan on Forty Days and Nights. “We are like brother and sister. She can play anything with strings and like Bill, Melody only has music crossing her mind and she has a big future.

Bryan is influenced by Bob Dylan, Steve Earle, The Rolling Stones, Willie Nelson, Graham Parsons, Jack White, Joe Pugg, Paul Kelly and Gillian Welch. Lachlan has shared the stage with Steve Earle and John Hiatt. Lachlan also describes Nick Cave as smart and stylish. “Nick Cave makes me feel patriotic added Lachlan.

Lachlan also paid tribute to his Manager, Tracey Collier.
“Tracey has suffered some incredible misfortunes in the last few years but she kept believing in me and gave me huge support in putting this album together. Much credit goes to Tracey”.

I did put him the question about Nashville. “Eventually we will release 'Black Coffee' in the USA and follow up with a tour.
Not so much as breeze into Nashville and be a star but l want to do the travelling troubadour thing and travel around the countryside doing gigs. Even singing to 50 people is a good gig. It's better than a lot of jobs l have done quipped Lachlan.

Lachlan deployed The Wildes for this album, the band he formed in 2008 meeting the drummer, Mat Duniam on a train trip to the City.
Most of the band are local Mornington Peninsula players including Andy Wrigglesworth guitar (Andy is also part of The Weeping Willows), Lachlan played guitar, piano and vocals, Shaun Ryan bass guitar, Mat Duniam drums and former Toorak College teacher, Laura Coates (Weeping Willows).

Additional players on 'Black Coffee' included Zoe Rinkel (vocals) father Erik is a drama teacher at the Peninsula School, Melody Pool vocals, Rod McCormack banjo, dobro and Hammond and Texan pedal steel player Tommy Detamore pedal steel.

'Black Coffee' was produced by Lachlan Bryan, The Wildes and Rod McCormack and engineered by Jeff McCormack and recorded in McCormack's Music Cellar Studios.
Best tracks include 309, Forty Days and Nights, Black Coffee, some early 50s style country with Kiss Me or Kill Me, the up-tempo Dragging My Chain and You, my favourite song the rockabilly Me and the Blues and you can hear the Bob Dylan influence in Big Fish. Lachlan's poet's way with words on 'Black Coffee' has brought coherence and articulation to song writing.
Lachlan will officially launch 'Black Coffee' at the Tamworth Music Festival, Family Hotel, Friday January 24th at 12.00 Midday. Lachlan will also appear at the Revolver Bandroom, Prahran Wednesday November 13th and the Peninsula Music Festival, Mt Eliza, Sunday January 12.
For more information and a copy of 'Black Coffee' Visit
www.lachlanbryan.com (http://www.lachlanbryan.com) or email tracey@kickmusic.com.auPink!

Singer Pink will release her live DVD which was filmed in Melbourne on November 22. Titled The Truth About Love: live from Melbourne was filmed at Rod Laver Arena in July this year.
It will be released two weeks before it appears on the shelves in the USA. Pink played a record breaking 18 shows at Rod Laver Arena to more than 250,000 fans.

Sixties rock band The Kinks are talk about a reunion to mark the band's 50th anniversary next year. Lead singer, Ray Davies said "I was talking to my brother Dave (vocals/guitar) two weeks ago and we are negotiating". The Kinks was one of Britain's most enduring and respected groups with hits 'You Really Got Me', 'Waterloo Sunset', 'Lola', 'Apeman', 'Sunny Afternoon' and many more.SPRINGSTEEN

Springsteen & I (Shock) the music documentary celebrating a rock 'n' roll icon will be released on November 1. The film has already enjoyed a very successful theatrical release grossing over $2.5 million in cinemas in 50 countries since July 2013. Working with the filmmakers, Springsteen's fans have helped create a film that reflects on their personal experiences to explore what this timeless artist means to them amidst amazing performance footage.

It features unseen material even the die-hards haven't laid eyes on yet which includes footage of unseen Springsteen performances of classics such as Dancing in the Dark, Born in the USA, I'm On Fire, Born to Run, The River, Thunder Road, Spirits in the Night and many more.
A bonus feature includes six tracks from Bruce Springsteen's 2012 Hyde Park performance: Thunder Road, Because the Night, Shackled & Drawn and We Are Alive, Twist and Shout and I Saw Her Standing There accompanied by Paul McCartney sharing vocals. Available Blue Ray & DVD. www.shock.com.au (http://www.shock.com.au)TAMWORTH

Australia's largest music Festival, the Toyota Tamworth Country Music Festival Tamworth will feature one of the biggest line-up's in the Festival's history in 2014 with a full program of artists confirmed to perform at venues across the city over 10 huge days.
The Festival is anticipating record crowds in 2014 and fans can expect to be entertained day and night with over 800 performers and 4,000 shows across 120 different venues.

Two of the superstars of Australian country music, Adam Harvey and Troy Cassar-Daley will officially kick off the Festival, headlining the opening concert in Toyota Park on Friday 17 January.

The festival will also feature the Lifeline Concert at the Tamworth Town Hall on Saturday January 18, commencing at 7.30pm featuring artists like Allan Caswell, Paul Costa, Chad Morgan, Lou Bradley, Luke O'Shea, Warren H Williams and more with MC yours truly.

In 2014, the Festival will pay tribute to Australian icon and country music legend, Slim Dusty through a number of special activities.
Festival Manager, Gavin Flanagan said “We're expecting 2014 to be bigger and better than ever. The festival will run from Friday 17 January to Sunday 26 January”.
For more information, visit www.tcmf.com.au (http://www.tcmf.com.au)10990

Forty years into a long and successful career, Allan Caswell is having one of his best years ever.
At the 2013 Australian Independent Country Music Awards in Mildura he picked up the award for Album of the Year (It's a Country Song). The title track also won him the awards for Male Vocal of the Year and Single of the Year.
His early years were writing and performing jingles before he wrote 'On the Inside', the theme to the TV series Prisoner. The song was recorded by Lynne Hamilton and became a Top 10 hit. The song was also recorded by Patti Page for the US market.
Caswell found himself on the charts again in 1983 with his song about the 1983 America's Cup Challenge, called The Australia's Cup. Allan Caswell will perform at Hickinbotham's Winery, Dromana, Sunday December 15. www.allancaswell.com (http://www.allancaswell.com)Top Ten Albums

1. Believe - Aleyce Simmonds (WJO)
2. A Hell of a Career - John Williamson (Warner)
3. Feels Like Home - Sheryl Crow (Warner)
4. The Bluegrass Album - Alan Jackson (Sony)
5. A Foot in the Door - The Best of Pink Floyd (EMI)
6. Silver Roads Australian Songs 70s - Various (Festival)
7. If I Want To - Jasmine Rae (ABC)
8. Crucible 2CD - Hunters & Collectors
9. 45 Years of Song - Glenn Shorrock (Aztec)
10. It's a Country Song - Allan Caswell

Album of the Week

Coffee – Lachlan Bryan & The Wildes (WJO)