PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment – Gary Turner - October

Mick Pacholli
30th September 2013, 12:18 AM

Hunters and Collectors became a huge hit with Melbourne audiences in the early 80s playing their unique brand of rhythmic music, evolving from the cult band, the Jetsonnes.
They signed to Mushroom Records in late 1981 and the following year released the EP ‘World of Stone’.

The Hunters & Collectors this week announced their first tour since 1998 kicking off on the Australia Day long weekend in January 2014.

The tour news comes amidst a hub of recent Hunters & Collectors activity, their performance at the AFL Grand Final Last weekend, as special guests at Melbourne’s two Bruce Springsteen concerts in February, and most importantly, the release of “Crucible – The Songs Of Hunters & Collectors”, the lovingly curated album featuring 15 stunning tributes from the likes of The Living End, Birds Of Tokyo, Neil Finn & Eddie Vedder and Paul Kelly accompanied by 15 original H&C recordings (Liberation Music).

The album is testimony to the extraordinary Hunters & Collectors legacy, one that was built not only their uniquely-Australian songs and Mark Seymour’s razor sharp lyrics, but also on their commanding and powerful live performances. The album has been the fillip for the band’s reformation.

When they called it a day in 1998, Hunters & Collectors was a multi-platinum selling band, with five top 10 albums boasting classic songs like Throw Your Arms Around Me, Talking to a Stranger, Holy Grail, When the River Runs Dry, Do You See What l See, Say Goodbye and many others.

In 2005 they were inducted by Peter Garrett into the ARIA Hall of Fame. In March 2009 the Sound Relief benefit concert at the MCG brought them temporarily out of retirement, with a set that won rave reviews.

Mark Seymour has, of course, continued a vibrant and successful solo career but for now, he’s looking forward to rejoining his former band mates Jack Howard, Michael Waters, Jeremy Smith, Doug Falconer, Barry Palmer and John Archer in this long-awaited reformation tour.

Hunters & Collectors will appear at The Hill Winery, Geelong, Saturday January 25, All Saints Estate, Rutherglen, Saturday February 5 and the Palais Theatre, Melbourne Friday April 11 with support The Panics.

Tickets on sale all shows October 11, Ticketmaster 136 100.
For more info www.frontiertouring.com (http://www.frontiertouring.com/)

Film producer Jerry Bruckheimer will go ahead with plans for a sequel to the 1986 movie ‘Top Gun’ despite the death of the original film director, Tony Scott. Executives at Paramount Pictures appeared ready to shelve the movie out of respect for Scott’s legacy, but Bruckheimer has now spoken out to renew his promise to complete the sequel. Tom Cruise is keen to take on the role of fighter pilot Maverick and the film location has been set for Nevada.10605

Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters has spoken for the first time about his falling out with other band members. Waters says he regrets taking legal action against his former band mates. Waters told the BBC he was wrong to have tried to stop the continued use of the band’s name after he left Pink Floyd in 1985. Waters founded the band with Syd Barrett, Nick Mason and Richard Wright in 1965. David Gilmour joined in 1967.

Pink Floyd was one of the most predominant and celebrated rock bands of all time causing so much excitement in the UK in the late sixties being one of the first bands to come on stage armed with a light show and one of the first English groups to play San Francisco style psychedelic rock. They finally took on the world with their monumental album, Dark Side of the Moon selling more than 2 million copies worldwide and still selling as newly indoctrinated fans continue to buy Floyd albums from the past. Their music has overcome the crassness surrounding each of their releases, though, and Floyd has remained high on the rungs of rockdom’s finest.

For a great family fun day ‘Feast & Family Field Day’ will be held at the Morning Star Estate this weekend October 5 & 6 featuring over 70 stalls including farming demonstrations, vintage cars, music, food, local beer and wine, cooking demonstrations, animal farm, face painting, CFA display, craft activities and much more including free parking. Presented by the Rotary Club of Mt Eliza. www.feastandfamilyfieldday.com.au (http://www.feastandfamilyfieldday.com.au/)

Robbie Williams will release his new album ‘Swings Both Ways’ on November 15. The album features a brilliant selection of classic songs including “Dream A Little Dream” (with Lily Allen), “I Wan’na Be Like You” ( with Olly Murs) and “Little Green Apples” (with Kelly Clarkson). Brand new tracks include “Soda Pop” (with Michael Buble) and “Swings Both Ways”, written and performed with Rufus Wainwright.
The album sees Robbie reunited with Guy Chambers, with whom he wrote 6 new songs. Guy Chambers produced the album.
Other tracks include Puttin’ on the Ritz, Minnie the Moocher, Sine My Shoes and many more. Robbie said “First of all, I wanted to do a Swing album because I wanted to do a Swing album. I always knew I’d do another and I think now is the perfect time to do it. I’m enjoying showbiz and I’m enjoying my life and my understanding of where I am now is that there needs to be an event every time I bring out a record.
Robbie’s previous swing album “Swing When You’re Winning” was released in 2001 and spent six consecutive weeks at the top of the UK chart, going 7 x platinum. It remains Robbie Williams’ bestselling album ever.
www.theinsoundfromwayout.com (http://email.thinkmail.com.au/t/r-l-budhldd-sfpjtih-t/) www.robbiewilliams.com (http://www.robbiewilliams.com)
On September 28th Hawthorn took on the Fremantle Dockers for the 2013 AFL Premiership, and you can relive greatness all over again from this week.
The official DVD of the 2013 Toyota AFL Grand Final (Shock) is available at leading DVD retailers.
This is our 24th consecutive year of rolling out the AFL Grand Final DVD the day after the event. It is the fastest turnaround of a major DVD program in the world. Australia’s most important sporting day comes alive on this action-packed DVD, which features:
• The entire match uninterrupted.
• The euphoric post-match interviews along with extended celebrations and unseen footage
• The Norm Smith Medal & Premiership Cup presentations.
• Full Scorecard & Statistics section
• Alternate commentaries (Listen to three different radio calls as well as Network Seven’s)
• Exclusive bonus footage of the winners Grand Final week build-up
The 2013 Toyota Grand Final DVD also features the brilliant & historic cover art of Mark Knight. www.shock.com.au (http://www.shock.com.au/)

TOP TEN ALBUMS

1. Feels Like Home – Sheryl Crow (Warner)
2. A Hell of a Career – John Williamson (Warner)
3. What About Now – Bon Jovi (Island)
4. Let it Fly – Diesel (Liberation)
5. The Bluegrass Album – Alan Jackson (Sony)
6. A Foot in the Door – The Best of Pink Floyd (EMI)
7. Silver Roads Australian Songs 70s – Various (Festival)
8. Inspiration – George Benson Universal)
9. Love & Therapy – Dianna Corcoran (Global)
10. Reflections – Armik (Bolero)

Album of the Week

Crucible: The Songs of Hunters & Collectors 2CD - Various & Hunters & Collectors (Liberation)