PDA

View Full Version : Giant Steps Sexton Vineyard Merlot 2008

Michael Lillis
1st February 2013, 05:12 PM

$35.00

For me this is a real Merlot!

(Not the sweet fruity $9.99 - $12.00 Merlots that most people are drinking) Donít get me wrong they are good wines just not what I see as a true representation of this verity, Merlot is so much more than over ripe fruit.

I enjoyed sweet fruity Merlot in my youth but moved quickly toward the European style being a little more savoury and the Giant Steps Sexton vineyard offers just that.

The wine is dark all most crimson in colour. There are ripe juicy berries and cherry fruit on the Nose with a hint of thyme and savoury oak.

The first sip and I was in love. Warm red fruit filled the mouth, the fruit was silky and savoury rich and juicy. (Donít mistake juicy for sweet)

All the flavours are there but in a supple way, more like velvet rather than overly sweet and the finish very persistent.

Conclusion: I donít think this Merlot is for every body, if you like very sweet fruit stick to what you like but if you are looking to try some thing different this is a good example of Australian Merlot at a fair price.

Food: When a wine is this good I can enjoy it with crusty bread and some stinky cheese.
It also helps if you drink the wine on a sunny day under a tree over looking Albert Park Lake watching the world float away Iím having a great day. Are you?

Michael Lillis I love my food and wine and make a living from both.